Chilton Housing Authority

The Chilton Housing Authority is a non-profit government agency whose responsibility is the ownership and operation of subsidized housing offering decent, safe and affordable rentals for income eligible individuals and families.

What is Public Housing?
Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single family houses to apartments. There are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units throughout the country. The U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers Federal aid and provides technical and professional assistance to local housing agencies that manage low income housing units.

Who is eligible for residency?
Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. Income levels can be obtained from our office.  Eligibility is based on the following:

  • Annual gross income
  • Whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family
  • U.S. Citizenship or eligible immigration status. 

How is rent determined?
Rent is determined based on the individual or family’s anticipated gross annual income less qualifying deductions such as dependents, elderly status, disability, and some medical deductions.

How do you apply?
Use the link provided below to fill out an application.  Applications can be downloaded from the Chilton Housing Authority website, picked up at the office, emailed or mailed to you.  You may also print (click icon at the bottom of this page for application) from this website and return by mail or in person to our office.

You must submit an application to have your name on the waiting list for either the single bedroom or three bedroom apartment(ds). Waiting lists exist for both elderly and families.  The number of applicants changes frequently. 

The application must include the full name of the head of household, full names of all members of the household, Social Security numbers, place of birth, date of birth, and citizenship status.  Application must be filled out completely before it is accepted, and background checks will be administered for each adult applicant.   If you have any questions about how to fill out the application, please call the Housing Authority.

For more information and resources:
Chilton Chamber of Commerce
Calumet County Aging and Disability Resource Center
Wisconsin Association of Housing Authorities (WAHA)
Wisconsin Housing and Urban Development (HUD)